Sports, Hockey, Women's Hockey

Eagles Prolong Win Streak At UConn

For just over 44 minutes of Boston College women’s hockey’s matchup against Connecticut on Friday, the score stood at 0–0. But it took just over two and a half minutes for each team to get on the board and tie things up once again 1–1. 

After an uneventful opening two frames, the Eagles went on to score two more third-period goals, and BC (14–11, 12–8 Hockey East) prevailed over the Huskies (19–6–2, 13–5–2) with a 3–1 win.

Despite the final score, UConn finished with the upper hand in almost every line of the stat sheet Friday night. The Huskies shot more than double the amount BC did, finishing with 45 shots compared to BC’s 22 and won 36 faceoffs compared to BC’s 20. UConn also spent less time in the penalty box, totalling eight minutes on four penalties, while the Eagles spent 12 minutes on six penalties. 

But ultimately, BC outscored UConn, walking away with its first win against the Huskies in three games this season. 

After going scoreless through the first two frames, UConn’s Viki Harkness slotted a power-play goal past BC goaltender Abigail Levy in the fourth minute of the third period to break the scoring and put the Huskies ahead 1–0. 

Just two and a half minutes later, Caroline Goffredo scored the tying goal with 12:45 left to play. After BC capitalized off puck retrieval in its win against Providence on Tuesday, Goffredo scored the equalizer off a loose puck. 

Just a minute and a half later, the Eagles netted another one. Natalie Tulchinsky tipped in a wrist shot from Olivia Finnochiaro to score the go-ahead goal. The game-winner marked Tulchinsky’s first goal of the season. 

UConn outshot the Eagles through the rest of play but could not convert on any of its attempts. Levy made a total of 44 saves on Friday in her fifth 40-plus save game of the season. 

After the referees sent Goffredo to the penalty box for body checking in the 12th minute, Hannah Bilka joined her in the 14th minute for the same call, giving UConn a 5-on-3 advantage. 

In the second 5-on-3 power play of the game—BC failed to convert on a two-man advantage midway through the second frame—the Huskies didn’t put a single shot on net.

BC’s Abby Newhook scored an empty netter from behind the center line with 53 seconds to play, scoring BC’s third goal of the third period and sealing the deal for the Eagles.

Featured Image by Caroline Cannon / Heights Staff