Sports, Football, Fall

Dave DeGuglielmo Hired as Offensive Line Coach

Boston College hired Dave DeGuglielmo as BC football’s new offensive line coach, BC Athletics announced Thursday. The hire comes less than a week after former offensive line coach Matt Applebaum left for the Miami Dolphins to serve the same position.

DeGuglielmo comes to the Heights with a number of former connections to BC. He started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at BC in 1991. DeGuglielmo also won Super Bowl XLII with former BC head coach Tom Coughlin as the New York Giants assistant offensive line coach. 

Newly hired offensive coordinator John McNulty also worked with DeGuglielmo at Connecticut in 1997 and with the San Diego Chargers in 2016. 

“Dave’s one of the best in the business – NFL or college – when it comes to the offensive line,” head coach Jeff Hafley said in the release. “We are thrilled to be able to land a two-time Super Bowl champion who is from the Commonwealth and has ties to BC.”

DeGuglielmo will be tasked with assembling a new group of starters, as the Eagles are losing four starters. Zion Johnson, Alec Lindstrom, Tyler Vrabel, and Ben Petrula all declared for the NFL draft. Right guard Christian Mahogany will be the only starter to return from last season.

BC’s offensive line allowed 24 sacks for 162 yards lost during the 2021 season. 

DeGuglielmo most recently served as Louisiana Tech’s offensive line coach during the 2021 season. BC will be the 12th coaching staff DeGuglielmo has worked with throughout his 30 year coaching career. 

DeGuglielmo arrives with 16 years of NFL coaching experience. He worked with teams including the Giants, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, Chargers, and Colts. 

Aside from winning two Super Bowls, DeGuglielmo saw his most success as the Miami Dolphins offensive line coach in 2011. The Dolphins rushed for 1,987 yards that season, contributing to Reggie Bush’s first 1,000-yard season. 

DeGuglielmo also coached First-Team All-Pro selection Quenton Nelson in 2018 as the Indianapolis Colts’ offensive line coach. The Colts allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL that season.

Prior to the NFL, DeGuglielmo spent 12 seasons coaching at the collegiate level, spending time with BC, Boston University, UConn, and South Carolina. With two new members of the offensive staff and one more to fill after wide receivers coach Joe Dailey departed for the NFL, the Eagles’ offense will see a number of new faces on the sidelines next season.

Featured Image by Stephen Mooney / Heights Editor