Sports, Winter, Basketball, Men's Basketball

BC Lands Cincinnati Transfer Guard Mason Madsen

Cincinnati guard Mason Madsen announced his transfer to Boston College men’s basketball on his Twitter account on April 12. Madsen is the first transfer to join BC’s roster during the 2022 offseason. 

“I think that over the past two years that I’ve spent in college, I’ve realized just how important opportunity and situation are,” Madsen wrote in a statement to The Heights via Twitter. “At Boston College, I feel like I’ll have the opportunity to help impact winning in a way that is mutually beneficial for myself and this team as well.”

Madsen played at Cincinnati for two years. He made 15 appearances as a freshman, averaging 19.6 minutes per game and 6.5 points per game. In his sophomore year, Madsen averaged 11.5 minutes per game. He made one start in 30 appearances while averaging 3.9 points per game.

Madsen, a 3-point shooter, went 48 of 139, good for 34.25 percent from behind the arc during his time as a Bearcat and led the team in 3-point percentage in the 2021–22 season. The Eagles were tied for last in the ACC in 3-point percentage this past season with a team average of 30.9 percent. 

At 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, Madsen was a three-star recruit out of Mayo High School in Rochester, Minn. He received offers from Wisconsin-Green Bay, Northern Iowa, and Colorado State before eventually choosing Cincinnati in August 2019, according to 247Sports. With a 44-inch vertical, he brings an athletic frame for BC head coach Earl Grant to utilize. 

“It did not take me long to figure out that coach Grant is about as genuine as they come,” Madsen wrote to The Heights. “He’s in it for all the right reasons and wants nothing more than to win for this community and develop young men at the same time. I think that my work ethic aligns with his and I can’t wait to get in the gym with him at the beginning of the summer.”

Madsen will join a guard-heavy BC team that features returning starters Jaeden Zackery and Makai-Ashton Langford. Class of 2022 guards Donald Hand Jr. and Chas Kelley will also join the team once summer workouts start.

Madsen announced his transfer one day after guard Brevin Galloway announced his entrance into the transfer portal. In his announcement, Galloway said he made his decision so that he would not interfere with Grant’s roster plans. 

“I’m really just excited to get on campus and get to work with all of the guys,” Madsen wrote to The Heights. “On my visit, it was clear to me how healthy the locker room is and how much these dudes care about each other and want to do the right thing for each other. That’ll go a long way as the year progresses.”