Sports, Fall, Men's Soccer

BC Fails to Generate Chances in 0–0 Tie With Green Bay

Heading into Monday night’s game against Green Bay, Boston College men’s soccer was tied for 112th in the country in total goals scored. Averaging just one goal a game, the Eagles boast a young team still trying to find its chemistry. 

And while BC goalkeeper Brennan Klein kept the backline secure, neither BC (2–1–1) nor Green Bay (2–1–1) could find the back of the net for over 90 minutes in a tight, end-to-end matchup that kept fans at the Newton Athletic Complex on their toes. The 0–0 tie marked the first draw of the season for both sides, and BC failed to score for the first time all year. 

The Phoenix outshot BC 17–9 on Monday—a sign that the Eagles have yet to find their clinical edge.

“I think we reacted okay,” BC head coach Bob Thompson said. “I think we need to do a better job of just sticking with our plan. … We just have to attack their back line more.”  

Unlike Friday’s game against Jacksonville, BC dominated possession early. The Eagles’ midfield connected with ease, stringing together passes and playing through open spaces. BC drew a foul in the 10th minute and secured a corner kick at the 11:30 mark but couldn’t generate a scoring opportunity. 

Just a minute later, Green Bay settled into the contest, winning a corner that pressured BC’s backline 12:47 minutes into the game.  

In the 17th minute, Green Bay registered the only shot on goal in the first half. The Phoenix found success in cutting off passes and being quick on the counter. 

In the initial seconds of the 20th minute, the Eagles regained control with a close shot by Marco Dos Santos. Another rocket shot by Dos Santos almost gave BC the lead in the 33rd minute but the shot sailed wide, left of the post. The Eagles were quick on the transition but struggled to threaten the Green Bay goal. 

A BC handball gave Green Bay a free kick just inches outside of the box. Myles Sophanavong struck the ball squarely but missed his target by a margin of five feet or less as the first half ended scoreless. The Phoenix outshot the Eagles 9–3. 

“I think as the game gets longer, sometimes you can get frustrated and you can veer off from the plan,” Thompson said. “I think we did that a little bit, a little bit of young stuff there.” 

In the 50th minute, Green Bay took a corner kick that did not sit on target. The Phoenix continued to generate more shots than BC, however, testing the Eagles’ defensive line and Klein in net. 

At the 52:47 mark, the Eagles won a free kick 40 yards out. Dos Santos crossed the ball into Green Bay’s defensive zone, but Xavier O’Neil’s volley sailed over the net.  

Three minutes later, Jake Parish fouled Dos Santos 30 yards outside of Green Bay’s net. The set piece zoomed into the box before Green Bay cleared it out, and a tense moment ensued. O’Neil and Andrew Paolucci exchanged words, showcasing the close nature of the match. 

Alfie Hughes stumbled on a breakaway run in the 60th minute, dribbling past Green Bay’s defense. Green Bay goalkeeper Tobias Jahn saved the Eagles’ first shot on target.  

“Every time we got the ball out wide we kept cutting inside and playing in front of them when we’re training them to go beyond the back line so they can get crosses,” Thompson said.  

Parish continued to apply pressure, taking another shot on goal in the 64th minute, which Klein halted for his second save of the night. Drew Serafino placed a header on net in the 68th minute for the Eagles’ second shot on goal, but the effort missed as well. 

“That’s three shutouts in four games,” Thompson said. “To me, that’s a good sign that the mentality of the group is strong. We just have to do a better job now [of] creating more chances.”