Metro, Newton

The Top 10 Things To Do in Newton This Halloween

Throughout the streets of Newton, passerby may see front stoops adorned with jack-o’-lanterns and yards filled with spooky decor. It’s Halloween season, and there are plenty of opportunities for Newton residents to celebrate the holiday this year.

From a drag brunch to a pumpkin decorating, here are 10 things you can do to make the most of Halloween in the city. 

Halloween at the Park

On Oct. 28, Coletti-Magni Park will host multiple events suitable for children ages 2 to 92, according to its website. The second Annual Community Pumpkin Decorating will occur from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. Later, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., the park will host a candlelit walk through its display of jack-o’-lanterns. Both events will be complete with spooky music, sweet apple cider, candy, and frightening scares. 

Halloween Spook-tacular 

Little Beats at the Dance Academy, which provides early childhood dance and music–based classes, will host a Halloween-themed dance party on Oct. 29 from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at 94 Rowe St. Attendees should be sure to wear a costume to the event, which will include a dance party, dance class, open play room, and craft. Registration must be completed in advance and is $40 per family. 

Trick or Treat at Jackson Homestead 

Newton’s Jackson Homestead museum features the Archives of Historic Newton as well as rotating and permanent exhibits on Newton’s history and the Underground Railroad. On Halloween night, the museum will open its doors at 527 Washington St. and dish out treats and coupons to be used for entry at a later date. 

Spooky Suzuki 

The Suzuki School of Newton will host Suzuki violin performances at the Newton Presbyterian Church on Oct. 28 from 4:45 p.m. to 6 p.m. Jump up on stage yourself for only $10 and play your most spine-chilling tune. Friends and family are welcome to come watch for free and costumes are encouraged. 

Boo~Tastic Drag Brunch at Moldova Restaurant 

Add Sunday brunch plans to your Halloween weekend to keep the party going. After selling out last year, this event, occurring on Oct. 29 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m., is one many Newton residents likely won’t want to miss out on. Featuring performances from seven drag performers, attendees can expect lip-sync battles, dancing, and all-around entertainment. 

Halloweek – Trick or Treat at The Street

If you find yourself sporting a costume and in the area of Chestnut Hill on Oct. 28, join the community on The Street as it celebrates the spooky season with special treats from local businesses, fun character meet and greets, a live DJ, and so much more. Registration is free to the public and the event will run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Halloween Window Painting

Residents and visitors walking the streets of any of the six Newton villages on Oct. 28 can see young artists paint the windows of participating local shops with ghoulish visages and haunting characters. This opportunity has been a tradition of the Newton community for 24 years and integrates the city’s art scene into Halloween festivities.

Dia de los Muertos Community Cultural Day

Join in on the festivities as the New Art Center hosts a Dia de los Muertos celebration for community members. On Oct. 29 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., attendees will remember the dead with dance, music, and art. Free and open to the public, this celebration will feature performances by Los Sugar Kings and Mariachi Guadalajara.  

Newton’s Fourth Annual Pumpkin Smash

Who doesn’t want to blow off some steam and throw a pumpkin? On Nov. 4 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Newton residents will have the opportunity to do just that. Located at the War Memorial behind Newton City Hall, this event not only features pumpkin throwing, but information from experts on managing food waste and composting, food trucks, and opportunities to donate unwanted candy and costumes. Be sure to remove decorations and candles from your pumpkin pre-throw. 

Trick or Treating

Don’t forget the most classic Halloween activity, trick or treating. 

“Prince Street and Gibbs Street in West Newton and Oxford Street in Newton Centre are great spots,” Audrey Xiao, a resident of the City of Newton and MCAS ’27, said. “They really go all out.”