Sports, Winter, Basketball, Women's Basketball

Eagles Earn Fourth-Straight Win With Blowout Victory over Stonehill

T’yana Todd’s confidence appeared to already be high just over a minute into the matchup between Boston College women’s basketball and Stonehill, when she seamlessly swerved through defenders and finished a crisp double-pump layup off the glass to give the Eagles an early 4–0 advantage. 

“[Todd] is really coming on,” BC head coach Joanna Bernabei-McNamee said. “I think that her confidence definitely comes from the time she puts into the game. She’s literally in the gym every day on her own.” 

Todd’s confidence appeared to only grow as the game went on. 

With 2:42 to go in the first quarter, Todd whipped the ball behind her back and stepped back, shaking her defender and hitting a jumper that put BC up 14–4. 

Todd’s efforts helped BC (7–5) to a smothering 101–37 win over Stonehill (0–10), a score which set a new season-high scoring record and gave the Eagles their fourth-straight blowout win. The last time BC scored 100 points or more was in 2019 against Delaware State. The Eagles have outscored their opponents by a combined 169 points through their last four games. 

“We needed this homestand and the wins [are] giving us confidence, energy, togetherness,” Kaylah Ivey said. “Just making sure everything’s ready for when ACC play starts after Christmas break. Hopefully we just carry it over.” 

Bench players were also major contributors for the Eagles, combining for 44 points. 

“Everybody can play, everybody has energy, everybody can defend,” Bernabei-McNamee said. “It’s nice going into a game where everybody can showcase that.” 

Nene Ndiaye scored seven points off the bench, all of which came over the span of 57 seconds during the third quarter. 

After a series of crisp passes, which showcased the Eagles’ chemistry, JoJo Lacey spotted Ndiaye under the basket, allowing Ndiaye to score an easy one off the glass with 2:22 left in the third quarter to make it a 64–26 BC lead. 

“During a lot of games that are tighter, not as many people play,” Dontavia Waggoner said. “But during games like this where we all play together, we’re building chemistry and confidence.” 

Ndiaye went up for another basket inside the paint 37 seconds later and was fouled, then sank both of her free throws to put the Eagles ahead by 40 points. 

On the next play, Ivey snatched a steal and sent it upcourt. The ball ended up in Ndiaye’s hands on the right wing, where she pulled up and sunk a 3-point shot in transition. 

Transition points were a major part of BC’s win. Waggoner, the Eagles’ leading scorer, finished with 18 points–many of which came off transition layups. 

With 20 seconds left in the first half, Ivey sent the ball past the defense to Waggoner, who finished a layup to put the Eagles ahead 42–20. 

“Being aggressive and being able to run out and sprint the lanes … get[s] [Ivey] assists,” Waggoner said. 

As the clock ticked down to signal the end of the first half, Andrea Daley rose up over her defender and shot from the left side of the paint. The ball bounced twice before finally falling through the net to give the Eagles a 24-point advantage going into the half. 

Daley’s buzzer beater earned the approval of the elementary schoolers that were in attendance at Tuesday’s Field Trip Day in Conte Forum. 

“They were screaming at the top of their lungs, they were so excited,” Ivey said. “It just made us excited to play for them and try to inspire the youth.” 

The Eagles’ home win came on an ideal day, according to Bernabei-McNamee. 

“It’s great to have all those children in the stands looking at them and getting to showcase what good players are and what good people are,” Bernabei-McNamee said.