Opinions, TU/TD

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Week of Feb. 4

Thumbs Up:

• Spring is (Almost) Here
    • After months of freezing winds and sporadic snow flurries, the first sign of spring is finally here—in the form of a groundhog’s shadow. Well, lack of a shadow, to be more exact. Whether you’re a Groundhog’s Day skeptic or supporter, you can’t help but hope for a few extra weeks of sunshine on the quad.
  • Abroad Anticipation
    • With promises of an early February release date, nearly half of the sophomore class is anxiously waiting for their study abroad decisions. Floods of Instagram photos showing juniors currently abroad are only bolstering the anticipation to learn which corners of the world will become temporary homes to the class of 2026. Whether you’re hoping for fall in Barcelona or spring in Milan, know that you will have a once-in-a-lifetime experience wherever you go.

Thumbs Down:

• Laundry Day Dread
    • Even though we’ve settled into our class routines, there’s one more task we need to factor into our busy schedules: laundry day. But broken washing machines, faulty dryers, and piles of clothes atop every available surface don’t exactly create the most inviting environment. While we here at Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down might not have a solution to unreliable appliances, we can certainly stress the importance of setting a timer—finding your clothes scattered across the floor is a surefire way to make a bad day worse.
  • Housing Logistics
    • It’s finally time to face the inevitable—housing application deadlines are approaching. Freshmen are making plans to trade Newton Campus for Walsh, sophomores are frantically searching for subletters, and juniors are attempting to secure a Mod. Whether you have your housing group secured or are still looking for a final roommate, be ready to make a backup plan—it’s always better to be prepared than panicked.