Laverne Cox Cancels Scheduled Speaking Event, UGBC Announces

After its Tuesday announcement that actress and transgender advocate Laverne Cox would speak at Boston College on Feb. 15, Undergraduate Government of Boston College’s GLBTQ Leadership Council was informed that Cox will no longer speak at BC next month.

Cox’s agent told UGBC that the actress will be canceling all of her speaking engagements from February through April, which includes her visit to BC and several other universities because she begins filming for the new Rocky Horror Picture Show in February until May, according to Nick Minieri, Chair of GLC and CSOM ’16. Cox had signed her contract with GLC prior to being cast in Rocky Horror Picture Show, so there was no way for her to know she would be filming on the date of the event, Minieri said.

“Everyone in GLC is shocked and upset,” Minieri said. “This had been an event we were looking forward to all year and we were even more excited once the rest of campus found out yesterday. However, we do understand Laverne’s commitment to Rocky Horror and that the situation is out of her control. We are definitely excited to see her star in the remake and we will try to bring her next year.”

Minieri explained that BC is not allowed to hold any events during study days or finals, which are the only dates that overlap with Cox’s availability. GLC is looking into having another speaker come on Feb. 15 in place of Cox.

Featured Image courtesy Richard Shotwell / AP Photo