Stefani’s “Make Me Like You” Is a Sultry Artistic Spectacle

3.5 stars

Gwen Stefani has a funny way of making a comeback. Every once in a while, the dance-pop diva releases a dizzying music video or two just to remind music lovers that she’s still an active solo artist trying to establish a signature sound. Seemingly determined to solidify an identity as something other than that edgy lead vocalist who dominated No Doubt many moons ago, Stefani tried her hand at making entertainment history with the live Feb. 15 premiere of her music video for “Make Me Like You.”

With the help of discount retail giant Target, Stefani filmed the first-ever live music video as an extended commercial break during the telecast of CBS’ 58th Annual Grammy Awards. The video is a vibrant and fast-paced romp through 11 different sets, and the singer’s seven live costume changes are a fluid and impressive feat for such a high-pressure performance.

Channeling her inner Marilyn Monroe—expertly emulating the sultry starlet with a retro blonde hairdo, striking red lipstick, and a purposeful stride that exudes the confidence of a woman who commands audience attention—Stefani struts through the individual sets, completing the choreography of each new scene with incomparable finesse. In one moment busting moves on a motorcycle, performing roller skate stunts during another, Stefani provides viewers with a vertigo-inducing visual that is perfect for the song’s poppy instrumentals.

The video—a project a steep $12 million budget—is with a risky venture into an emerging entertainment trend: taking advantage of live TV. For almost an entire decade, the music industry has been void of the energetic synth-pop stylings of an emotion-packed Stefani LP. Now, Stefani sets high expectations for her upcoming third studio album This is What Truth Feels Like with the exuberant music video for “Make Me Like You,” a performance that reads much more like an artistic spectacle than some kind of a celebrity sellout.

Featured Image By Interscope