Kygo is “Raging,” “Broods is ‘Free,” and More in Singles This Week

Kygo, “Raging” from Cloud Nine

4

In his new track, “Raging,” Kygo takes on a new challenge by partnering with Irish band Kodaline. The Norwegian producer’s trademark summer-house style generally lends itself to heavily produced pop music, not the acoustic rock feel Kodaline has perfected, yet the unlikely mashup shows promise, following in the footsteps of Avicii and Aloe Blacc’s 2013 hit, “Wake Me Up.”

Broods, “Free” from TBA album

3.5

Auckland-based duo Broods has quietly been infiltrating the U.S. electronic pop scene since their debut single, “Bridges,” in 2014. With their newest single, “Free,” the brother/sister pair may just make it into the top-200 mainstream. Showcasing singer Georgia Nott’s impressive voice in a way unseen on previous tracks, the lively track combines catchy tribal vocals with a modern electronic score.

Jason Derulo, “If It Ain’t Love” from TBA album

3

Pop icon Jason Derulo strikes out with his newest single, “If It Ain’t Love.” The song is peak Derulo, utilizing his impressive vocal range, bubbly synth, and stereotypical love-story lyrics. In its essence it feels as though it is trying way too hard to suit his found niche of success. While “If It Ain’t Love” will appease his fans, success comparable to hits “Want You to Want Me” or “Talk Dirty” is unlikely.

Featured Image By Sony Music Entertainment