Spring

Virginia Tech’s Monster Second Half Proves Too Much for BC

Boston College lacrosse came into Blacksburg, Va. off a close win against Boston University. The No. 17 Eagles were looking to get their first ACC win of the season against Virginia Tech, who they had defeated in their previous seven-straight games. A strong start to the second half, however, powered the Hokies over the Eagles, 18-12.

The Eagles (3-2, 0-2 Atlantic Coast) became the first team on the board when Kaileen Hart scored less than five minutes into the opening period. The goal was the sixth of the young season for Hart, who had totaled six goals in her first two collegiate seasons. The Eagles would have little time to enjoy this lead, as Taylor Caskey managed to even the score less than 30 seconds later, putting one past BC goaltender Zoe Ochoa.

The Hokies (3-1, 1-0) claimed the lead less than a minute later when Kristine Loscalzo capitalized on a free position shot. BC was given a similar opportunity a little over a minute later, but VT goaltender Meagh Graham made the save. Minutes later, the Eagles tied the game with a goal from Kate Weeks. She scored again three minutes later to give the Eagles the lead. Once again, the lead was short-lived, as Tristan McGinley tied it up exactly one minute later.

The score remained tied until Weeks added another, her third goal in eight minutes, to give BC the lead again. This game was an important offensive outing for Weeks, who finished last season with 45 points in 19 games and started this year with 14 points in two games, but had struggled in the previous two games, managing only one goal. Shortly after, the Eagles were given another free position shot, but Graham managed to turn away Sam Apuzzo’s attempt. But the Eagles still managed to take advantage of the penalties, as Apuzzo scored only 15 seconds later with BC still up one player.

Emma Harden scored shortly after to cut the Eagles lead, but Apuzzo added another goal only a minute later to expand the lead again. Twenty-nine seconds later, the Eagles finally scored on a free position shot as Laura Frankenfield made it a three-goal lead. The Eagles would prove unable to maintain this lead going into the half. With less than three minutes to go, Harden scored her second of the game. She then scored off a free-position shot with a little over a minute left in the half to complete her hat trick, and cut the Eagles lead to just one after the first half.

The second half would not be as close as the first. The Hokies struck fast and early, with the first goal coming from McGinley a little over one minute into the half. Only 12 seconds later, Loscalzo scored her second of the day to give the Hokies the lead again. The Hokies would not lose that lead for the rest of the game. They added another two goals in the next three minutes to give them a 10-7 lead over the Eagles.

A free-position goal from Dempsey Arsenault brought the Eagles closer, but McGinley scored her third of the game a minute later to bring the Hokies’ lead back to three. Zan Biedenharn scored 30 seconds later on a free position shot to further expand BC’s deficit to four. The Eagles, however, were not ready to give up. In a span of less than two minutes, Weeks added her fourth goal of the game, and Hart scored two more to complete her hat trick and bring BC back to within one.

Apparently, a comeback was not in the works—McGinley and Loscalzo each notched their fourth goals of the game for VT shortly after, bringing the score to 14-11. Kayla O’Connor added another goal for the Eagles, but the Hokies added four more goals in the final seven minutes to seal the loss for BC.

It was a rough outing defensively for the Eagles, who gave up 18 goals for the second time this season. Shots were close through the first half, with the Hokies taking a slight 16-14 advantage. In the second half, however, the Eagles couldn’t keep up, allowing 25 shots while managing only 11. There were offensive bright spots, such as Weeks, who tallied four goals and an assist, giving her 18 goals and two assists—the latter of which ties her career high—so far this season. Hart also played an important offensive role by putting up three goals and an assist. The Eagles, however, also allowed two players—McGinley and Loscalzo—to each score four goals. They will need to work on limiting their opponents’ top players in future games.