Men's Hockey

Previewing 2017-18 Men’s Hockey: Massachusetts

Boston College men’s hockey looks to get back on track Thursday night after finishing last in the Beanpot for the second year in row. The Eagles (14-13-3, 14-6-0 Hockey East) will face Massachusetts (13-16-2, 7-12-2) in a cross-state rivalry that the Eagles have dominated in recent years. Yet, while BC has won 12 of the past 14 matchups between the two teams, the Minutemen haven’t lost lost in their past three contests. This includes a 3-0 shutout of Massachusetts Lowell, a team BC needed an extra period to beat. Both BC and UMass are led by extremely young stars who are sure to make future meetings even more interesting. 

Who is BC playing?

Massachusetts

When is BC playing?

Thursday, Feb. 15, 7 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Mullins Center, Amherst, Mass.

How to Watch:

The game will be aired on NESN.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) With his hat-trick against Harvard on Sunday, Logan Hutsko is the first Eagle in 10 years to score five goals over the course of two games.

2) The Eagles are tied for ninth in the country with five shorthanded goals this season.

3) Although their comeback bid against Harvard fell short, the Eagles have now scored three or more goals in the third period three times this season.

UMass:                                                                     

1) The Minutemen’s last loss to BC was the start of a five-game losing streak that ended with UMass’ 5-2 win over Merrimack on Feb. 6.

2) The top-five UMass goal scorers are all freshmen, led by Mitchell Chaffee with 12.

3) From a statistical standpoint, the Minutemen have the worst defense in Hockey East, surrendering 3.06 goals per game.

Last Meeting:

The Eagles defeated the Minutemen, 2-1, in a Jan. 23 matchup, just a month ago at Kelley Rink. Hutsko, BC’s most dangerous offensive weapon of late, scored his first career game-winning goal, supplementing Jesper Matilla’s opening score in the second period.

BC wins if…

It plays cool, calm, and collected hockey. After allowing eight total goals in the Beanpot, and two more in an overtime thriller against UMass Lowell last Friday night, the Eagles simply need to regroup. A game against a team that has lost to BC in 26 of the teams’ last 31 matchups provides the chance to do just that. Hutsko has shown no signs of slowing down, and with the Eagles scoring power play goals in each of their last eight games, the Minutemen have reason for concern.

BC loses if…

It gets outskated over the course of the game. The Eagles have played two-straight overtime games, and have to be feeling sluggish after losing three of their past four games. UMass, with its unit of highly-energetic rookie skaters, has a chance to upset BC purely on its mental approach to the game. The Minutemen are 8-6-0 at home this season and could very well steal a win from the Eagles to even the season series.

Featured Image by Tiger Tao / Heights Staff