News, Top Story, Academics

Minors in Finance, Accounting, and Marketing to Be Offered to All Undergrads

Starting in the fall of 2018, students outside of the Carroll School of Management (CSOM) will be able to declare minors outside of the current options available to students, according to Ethan Sullivan, associate dean in the undergraduate program of CSOM.

Students will be able to minor in finance, marketing, accounting for CPAs, and accounting for finance and consulting. Students outside CSOM can currently minor in management and leadership, as well as managing for social impact and the public good.

The proposed complement of minors will fit the criteria proposed by the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences (MCAS), which states, “A minor consists of six or seven courses. These must include one introductory level course and at least one upper-level course or seminar.”

Sullivan said in an email that these new course options represent the ideals of Boston College’s new strategic plan.

“According to the first of five Strategic Directions, the University seeks to foster a culture of learning that ‘promotes opportunities for students to integrate traditional liberal arts disciplines with professional preparation and vocational discernment,’” he said. “That strategic direction also calls specifically for minors within professional schools, open to students in the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences.”

More information on the new options will become available after Spring Break, when CSOM completes a pamphlet that will be distributed to deans and advisers in MCAS, the Lynch School of Education, the Connell School of Nursing, and other departments at BC that advise students.

Featured Image by Kaitlin Meeks / Photo Editor

Cole was a news editor for The Heights in 2018.