University to Create Engineering Department
News, On Campus, Top Story, Academics

Boston College revealed the development of a new engineering department in the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences on Tuesday. Vice Provost for Research and Academic Planning Tom Chiles referenced the new department at an information session regarding the upcoming Schiller Institute for Integrated Science and Society.

“Regarding the building presentation, we have programmed and designed space to support an engineering program that will comprise a new department within MCAS,” Chiles said in an email to the Heights.

The University will begin the academic development phase of the program over the summer, according to Chiles.

Recently released plans for the facility included “undergraduate engineering and teaching laboratories,” the first public commitment of resources within Schiller to an engineering program.

According to the presentation on Tuesday, the new department will get more than just a home: One of the three “makerspaces” in Schiller will also be devoted to engineering and applied science students.

In the initial announcement of Schiller back in April 2017—then the Institute for Integrated Sciences and Society—Chiles said that he was exploring engineering but that there was no plan at the time.

Construction is slated to begin in late May, with Schiller expected to open in the fall of 2021.

Featured Image by Jonathan Ye / Heights Editor