The Weeknd Laments Over Past Love and More in Singles

“After Hours” – The Weeknd

The Weeknd’s latest release, “After Hours,” is a single that foreshadows the singer’s matured yet consistent sound in his upcoming album of the same name, which is slated to be released in March. The single sees The Weeknd crooning in his typical R&B falsetto, singing lyrics that allow his fans a glimpse at his emotional turmoil. Beginning slowly, the song picks up two minutes in, turning a sentimental melody into a more lively but still melancholic ballad. The lyrics are a reflection of his regrets with a past love. He expresses sorrow for his past mistakes and vows to be a better man. Although The Weeknd maintains the same style as his previous albums, he demonstrates a willingness to grow in his lyrics. “After Hours” serves as an excellent first taste of his soon-to-be-released album, solidifying The Weeknd’s relevance and paving the way for the next step in his journey. 

“Bad Decisions” – The Strokes

The Strokes are back and as rock-solid as ever with their latest single “Bad Decisions.” The song, which debuted at Bernie Sanders’ rally in New Hampshire, is fun, melodic, and repetitive. It promises to be a great addition to any summer beach day playlist, but more than that, it’s a reminder of the continued appeal of The Strokes.

“The Birthday Party” – The 1975

“The Birthday Party” is the band’s latest release ahead of its upcoming album, Notes on a Conditional Form, set to debut on April 24. It’s a calm reflection on past habits and old friends. Lead singer Matty Healy sings about drug addiction and the exes of his past in a ballad that is intertwined with a sense of comic relief, a typical posture for the devil-may-care frontman.

Featured Image by XO Records