Opinions, TU/TD

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Week of Feb. 8

Thumbs Up: 

• Sledding on Campus
    • As the winter weather rolls in, one of Boston College’s favorite pastimes becomes available again: sledding! Whether you’re hitting the hills of Newton in a cardboard box or ski jumping on Upper, taking advantage of BC’s naturally hilly campus is a guaranteed blast. 
  • Winter Wonderland
    • Another bonus to the winter weather is that BC’s campus is undeniably beautiful when covered in a white, fluffy blanket of snow. The Quad looks like a postcard, and spending hours studying in Stokes or Bapst is somehow easier when there’s snowflakes fluttering down outside. 

Thumbs Down: 

• Cold Weather
    • The downside to the winter weather is that it is winter weather. Meaning, it’s always cold. Even if the temperature is at a cozy 30 degrees, coupled with the windchill, walking outside feels like a punch in the gut. All the sleet, snow, and ice become permanent fixtures to campus which make the Million Dollar Stairs like a game of Russian roulette. 
  • Icy Commute
    • Public transportation also becomes a nightmare during the winter months. Something as simple as Ubering to Target becomes an overly complicated affair when the roads are less than safe. Not to mention, Massachusetts drivers are a different breed and the winter weather only seems to galvanize them. The buses also compete for their share of the roads and less-than-desirable conditions usually means calculating an extra half hour into your commute. 

Featured image by Allyson Mozeliak / Heights Editor