Sports, Spring, Women's Soccer

Former Eagle Kristie Mewis Selected for USWNT

Former Boston College women’s soccer player Kristie Mewis, BC ’13, has been named to the U.S. Olympic Women’s Soccer Team, as announced on Wednesday on ABC’s Good Morning America. 

“It’s been a long process to get to this point, longer than anyone thought it would be, but we collected a lot of information on the players over the past year and a half in training … and we’re confident that we’ve selected the team with the best chance for success in Japan,” U.S. Women’s National Team (USWNT) coach Vlatko Andonovski said.

Mewis is one of five midfielders on the 18-person roster and the only player that did not represent the United States when the team won the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup. She made her USWNT debut in 2013 against Scotland, and three months later, she recorded her first goal in a friendly match at Gillette Stadium, just 25 miles from her hometown of Hanson, Mass. After a five-year absence from the national team, Mewis rejoined the roster in October 2020 and scored her second career goal just one month later.

Mewis currently plays professionally for the Houston Dash in the National Women’s Soccer League. 

She is the first Eagle to compete in women’s soccer at the Olympics since Laura Georges represented France at the 2012 London Olympics. In Mewis’ time on the Heights, she recorded 116 points in 89 games, including 39 goals and 38 assists. 

Her sister, Samatha Mewis, is also a first-time member of the Olympic team. The pair played for Whitman-Hanson Regional High School in Hanson, Mass. before continuing in college on opposite ends of the country, with Kristie at BC and Samantha at UCLA. 

Mewis will play alongside some of the biggest names in soccer at the Olympics, including Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, Julie Ertz, and Kelley O’Hara. 

Featured Image by Michael Wyke / Associated Press

June 23, 2021