Arts, Review, Music

Masterful ‘Love For Sale’ Album Blends Old and New Styles

★★★★★

Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga pay tribute to renowned composer Cole Porter in the release of their second collaborative album—Love For Sale.

The veteran crooner and the contemporary pop star have a friendship that transcends time. The two first met at a New York gala in 2011, where Bennett heard her singing a rendition of Nat King Cole’s “Orange Colored Sky.” He went backstage and asked Gaga to sing a duet with him on his Duets II album. A few years later, they released an entire album together entitled Cheek to Cheek. It’s a highly regarded album. But Love For Sale, released on Oct. 1, is said to be the last of their collaborations, as Bennett was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2016. 

At first glance, Gaga and Bennett seem like an unlikely duo, but that is exactly what makes their partnership so special. He wears fine Italian suits. She wears dresses made of meat. He’s timeless. She’s cutting edge. But, these Italian New Yorkers separated by two generations share a chemistry that is indescribable. They complement one another like an aged chianti and a fresh cannoli. The two are a true match made in heaven. 

The album is primarily composed of old Broadway hits that were performed by some of the most prominent artists of the time—including Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Fred Astaire, and Frank Sinatra. Gaga and Bennett reinvigorate these classic tunes from a bygone era, and their playful exchange of lines throughout keeps the album refreshingly witty. 

They also have solo moments throughout. Gaga’s theatrical side and jazz training shine in Fitzgerald’s “Do I Love You” and “Let’s Do It.” Bennett showcases his rich sound in Fitzgerald’s “So In Love” and “Just One Of Those Things.” While he doesn’t have quite the voice he did when he was younger, it is remarkable just how good the 95-year-old still sounds. 

Other noteworthy duets from the album are “I Get A Kick Out Of You” and “I’ve Got You Under My Skin,” both made famous by Sinatra. Gaga undoubtedly adds a new dimension to the two Sinatra classics, but only Bennett can say he had martinis with Ol’ Blue Eyes back in the day. 

Gaga is on her meteoric ascent, while Bennett slowly fades into the stars. They are both some of the most influential artists of their respective eras. By blending the old and the new, the extraordinary pair creates musical magic together. They bring out the best in each other. Bennett’s career, which has spanned more than seven decades, was nothing short of a triumph, and this album certainly is as well. 

Featured Image Courtesy of Interscope Records