Features, Cooking Column, Homemade On The Heights

Homemade on the Heights: Christmas Cookies

As sad as I am about the semester ending, the silver lining is that Christmas is just around the corner. And when I think of Christmas, I think of cookies. Specifically, sugar cookies, decorated to embody the holiday spirit. My forte is usually the cooking and baking itself, but when it comes to Christmas cookies, the baking process is merely a vessel for the art of decorating. 

While cookie decorating is the first thing on my to-do list when I go home for winter break, it’s never too early to kickstart the holiday spirit. As an e-board member of the Cooking Club of Boston College, I felt obligated to share some cookie decorating joy with the BC community.

The Cooking Club of BC has undoubtedly been the highlight of my semester. While our final event of the fall was originally planned as a carne asada night, we decided last-minute to get everyone into the holiday spirit instead. I figured there was no better or more appropriate way to end our semester than with a cookie baking and decorating night. Nothing is more festive than decorating sugar cookies while blasting holiday hits, and safe to say, it was a hit.

DISH:

Christmas Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 cup butter, softened 
  • 2 tsp vanilla 
  • 2 eggs, room temperature 
  • 1 cup sugar 
  • 2 1/2 cups flour 
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder 
  • 1 pinch of salt 

INSTRUCTIONS: 

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla, eggs, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
  2. Slowly incorporate flour until a dough forms. Then, split the dough into two discs and wrap each tightly with plastic wrap. 
  3. Place the dough in the fridge to chill for at least two hours. 
  4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  5. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. 
  6. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. Place each on a baking sheet with one inch of space between.
  7. Bake for 9–10 minutes, or until the edges become golden brown.
  8. Let cool, then decorate.