Features, Tips and Trends, Tips

How To Dress for Winter: A Southern Girl’s Guide

I check the weather app—55 degrees. It’s the dead of winter for a Southern girl. I get out of bed and proceed to put on an undershirt, a long-sleeved shirt, a fleece, a parka, gloves, and a beanie. As I exit Keyes North, I hear my friends call out, “Don’t get fizzed!”

When I first began telling people back home I was going to Boston College, they all shivered and warned me about the cold that was to come. Many of them even gave me clothing advice, instructing me to buy a thick winter coat, earmuffs, and even long underwear. \

Throughout my first BC winter, I’ve accumulated a few tactics of my own to stay warm and comfortable amid the cold. Here are some tips for all the southerners who are trying to get through the winter!

Scarves

While they’re often an outfit-afterthought, scarves are one of the most important parts of dressing for winter. Not just any scarf will do, though. You need a big scarf—one that practically envelopes your face. 

The Massachusetts wind can be brutal when it’s pushing against the back of your neck, especially if your hair is short or styled up. It gets even worse when you’re standing in line for the Beanpot or at the Newton bus stop (source: trust me).

Scarves are not only nice for the wind protection they offer, but also because you can style them any which way!

When I was younger, we would wrap our mom’s old plaid scarves around our necks, hands, and heads. When I would leave for ballet class at Centennial Park in Nashville, all adorned in leotards and tights, I would wrap the scarf around my legs to protect them from the cold.

Scarves are an absolute essential when braving a Boston winter. They can be used anywhere, come in all shapes and sizes, and guarantee a warm walk around campus.

Snow Boots

“Mama, what am I going to use when it snows?” I looked at my assortment of sneakers, heels, duck boots, slippers, and Uggs. I began to realize I had never owned a single pair of snow boots. 

In Tennessee, it snows about half of an inch each year, if at all. We’re never concerned about getting our shoes wet or sinking into the ground beneath us. 

I showed up to BC with my mom’s old snow boots, which she wore during her time at BC in the ’80s. They lasted about two days. The sole of the right boot fell almost completely off, which led to some very uncomfortable stares as I slap, slap, slapped down the hallways of Stokes.

Fortunately, I have since invested in some new snow boots and realized the importance of keeping my feet warm and dry in the face of brutal snowstorms. 

I recommend getting slightly taller boots to protect from snow sneaking its way in through the tops. A fuzzy interior to keep your feet warm and good traction to stop you from slipping on the ice are great additions as well.

To any incoming students—invest now! Snow boots are a must-have on your packing list.

Layer

By far, the biggest takeaway I have from my first BC winter is that layering clothes is key

My grandma, Veronica Strobel-Seigenthaler, knew the importance of layering. Everyday during winter, she would call my mom and her sisters to make sure they were wearing a proper undershirt and coat.

While my mom and her sisters were a bit annoyed by the constant phone calls, those check-ins spared them loads of coughs and sniffles. For that reason, I still pull out my undershirt to provide that extra bit of warmth on the coldest days.

Currently, my favorite layering combination consists of an undershirt, tank top (in case I get too hot in class), fleece, coat (short for the warmer days, long for the colder days), and long jeans. 

It doesn’t matter what combination you decide on as long as it’s practical and comfortable. After you leave your dorm, keep in mind—you can always take layers off, but you can never add more!