TU/TD, Opinions

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Week of Nov. 5

Thumbs Up:

• The Holiday Season
    • November brings a great deal of anticipatory holiday cheer, and perhaps a bit of controversy over the ever-important question: Is Nov. 1 the start of the holiday season? For those who spend the year dreaming of mistletoe and candy canes, this past week marked the start of winter festivities. But to those who love Thanksgiving, an early-November arrival of Christmas music and an impertinent Elf on the Shelf should not show up weeks before we set up our fall-themed Thanksgiving tables. No matter which camp you fall into, try to avoid feuding with your roomies too much. Instead, remember the joy and gratitude that ought to surround all holidays.
  • Pre-Finals Work Lull
    • Although it sometimes feels like the schoolwork never ends, the lull between midterms and finals can be a refreshing break. By now, we have figured out our class patterns, gauged the relative importance of our readings, and figured out how long problem sets really take. So, at least for a while, we can organize our schedules and stress levels to fit in a little break here and there. With finals fast approaching, it is important to take advantage of the current assignment lull to fit in “me time”—and a good amount of roomie bonding and relaxing movie nights. All of this will give us the energy to power through when the work picks up again.

Thumbs Down:

• No Night Games!
    • Very little will deter Boston College students from finding their way to home football games—we show up rain or shine at any hour of the day. All students hope is that just one game will occupy the night instead of taking over an entire Saturday. But so far this year, there have been exactly zero home night games for BC football! We at Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down encourage you to continue to keep supporting our team in spite of this. We must hold hope that next year will bring our well-deserved allotment of night games.
  • BC Throat Tickle Returns
    • With classmates increasingly absent, meetings moved to Zoom, and coughs echoing through the library, the inevitable college fall cold has hit BC’s campus once again. Whether your symptoms consist of a headache, chills, or a sore throat, finding yourself sick mid-semester is both frustrating and inconvenient. Doesn’t the flu realize that we have things to do?! If you do get sick though, give yourself a break. Take an extra few hours of sleep, relax, drink plenty of fluids, and look at this as a chance to refuel before the end-of-semester push.