Brendon Urie Sings Atop a Skyscraper in “High Hopes” Video

Brendon Urie and his band Panic! At The Disco have been crossing the boundaries of what’s been considered musically possible ever since they formed in 2004. Urie has one of the most superhuman voices of anybody in the music industry, and his tone sounds like modern-day Frank Sinatra.

He recently released a music video for “High Hopes,” the hit song from the band’s recent album, titled Pray For The Wicked. The track is an upbeat, feel-good pop song that features a prominent horn section and highlights Urie’s commanding voice.

The music video, which debuted on Monday, begins with Urie stepping out of a car and walking down a sidewalk in downtown L.A. As he sings the first verse, he constantly bumps shoulders with people walking by as they seem to not notice him. As soon as the chorus hits, though, he stops in front of a skyscraper and puts his foot against the outside of it.

Think he’s about to kick open the door to some recording studio? Nope.

In a fashion that’s about as unbelievable as his voice, he starts to defy gravity and scale the side of the building, shocking the onlookers who had previously ignored him. As soon as he reaches the top, he’s joined by his band on the roof to finish the song with a stage-like setup on the building’s helicopter pad.

The video fits the song perfectly. Urie references how people didn’t believe in him when he was chasing his dreams, but he didn’t let that stop him: “They say it’s all been done, but they haven’t seen the best of me.” The chorus lyric, “always had high, high hopes,” is quite literally reflected by his climb into the sky. Directors Brendan Walter and Mel Soria created fantastic sweeping camera shots and really captured the essence of the song.

Featured Image by