Fall, Field Hockey

Previewing 2018 Field Hockey: Syracuse

Boston College field hockey looks to get a busy weekend started on the right foot as it travels to Syracuse seeking its third conference win of the season. The No. 8 Eagles (7-3, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) have been on fire lately, outscoring opponents, 13-1, during their ongoing four-game win streak, but will need another excellent defensive performance to contain the Orange (6-4, 0-3 ACC), which is currently ranked No. 13 in the latest NFHCA poll.   

Who is BC playing?

Syracuse

When is BC playing?

Friday, Oct. 5, 5 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

J.S. Coyne Field, Syracuse, N.Y.

How to Watch:

Live stats for the game will be provided by Sidearm Stats.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) After recording two goals in the win over Fairfield, graduate student Brooke Matherson now leads the Eagles with six goals on the season.   

2) Goalkeeper Sarah Dwyer has been a driving force behind BC’s success this year. The junior is allowing just 0.97 goals per game, good for fourth-best in the country.  

3) BC has struggled against the Orange recently. Syracuse has won 13 of the past 20 meetings between the two teams, and the Eagles haven’t beaten the Orange since 2014.

Syracuse:  

1) On the offensive end, the Orange is led by the dynamic duo of Chiara Gutsche and Roos Weers. The two have combined for 11 goals and two assists in 2018.  

2) Despite being ranked No.13 in the country, Syracuse has struggled in conference play, dropping all three of its ACC matches thus far. To make matters worse, the Orange has been outscored, 8-2, in the process.

3) Syracuse has an excellent goalie of its own minding the net. Borg van der Welde is averaging 4.7 saves per game, the second most in the ACC.

Last Meeting:

The two teams last met in 2017, and the result was an ugly 6-0 loss for the Eagles. In the conference opener for both teams, BC got off to a poor start, conceding a goal in the seventh minute, and trailed, 4-0, at halftime. The Eagles recorded just five shots to Syracuse’s 12.

Outlook:

ACC road games are never easy, and a trip to Syracuse, a team BC has struggled against, is not something to take lightly. Fortunately for the Eagles, they might be catching the Orange at the right time. Syracuse is coming off a devastating 5-1 loss to conference leaders North Carolina—a defeat that snapped the Orange’s three-match win streak. The key for BC will be limiting the scoring opportunities of Gutsche and and Weers. If the Eagles’ backline and Dwyer play to the potential they have showcased over the past four games, head coach Kelly Doton’s team should have a good chance of earning its third conference victory of the year.

Featured Image by Celine Lim / Heights Editor