Hate Crime Charge Sought Against Sorkin
News, Off Campus, Top Story

Hate Crime Charge Sought Against Sorkin

Michael Sorkin, CSOM ’21, the student who allegedly defaced Welch Hall with racist epithets last December, will be arraigned in Middlesex County court on Feb. 13, according to Boston College Chief of Police Bill Evans. Sorkin was previously scheduled to be arraigned three times in Suffolk County–where Walsh Hall is located–for allegedly destroying property and falsely activating a fire alarm there.

Evans said in an email that BC does not have control over court delays.

“We are not taking this lightly at all and are pushing ahead with the charges,” Evans said.

This is the first indication that a date has been set for an arraignment involving a hate crime in Middlesex County.

A BCPD report obtained as a part of court record in Brighton detailed that Sorkin is facing charges of property destruction in excess of $1,200 in Suffolk County, as well as false activation of a fire alarm. No official court date has been set yet in regards to the Suffolk County incident, but the two sides have committed to a hearing in February.

Sorkin could also face a charge of resisting arrest. In the BCPD report publicly released as a part of the Brighton case—as well as the public blotter released to the BC community—that charge is noted, but was dropped since the incident occurred in Middlesex County. The report noted that Sorkin bit an arresting officer’s finger at the time of the arrest.

Sorkin was committed for psychological evaluation in December after the incident. The BCPD police report noted concerns that Sorkin was under the influence of drugs at the time of his arrest. Officers did not question him about the incidents in Walsh or Welch after Sorkin was arrested, due to concerns for his mental and physical well-being.

Sorkin remains on summary suspension from the University.