Fashion Showcase Illustrates Negative Effects of Fast Fashion

When trying to think of a place on Boston College’s campus that fits the vibe of a lowkey, underground, “local” thrift shop, the Rat—a brightly lit cafeteria in the basement of Lyons Hall—probably isn’t the first that comes to mind. But on Thursday night, CAB, with the help of Fashion Club and EcoPledge, successfully transformed the well-traveled lunch spot into a thrift store and fashion refurbishment spot, with musical entertainment and refreshments aplenty.

At CAB’s Sustainable Fashion Showcase, participants were able to shop from a pop-up thrift store, refurbish their old clothes at the workshop table or with the help of a seamstress. They learned more about the importance of sustainable fashion—a topic growing ever more popular among college-aged students as concern over the environmental costs of fast fashion rises.

Izzy Hawkes, MCAS ’21, and Dylan Nadeau, MCAS ’20, are the two CAB members who spearheaded the event. Hawkes said that their goal was to create an event that was focused on sustainable fashion and that “taught students about sustainable fashion versus fast fashion in a fun, interactive way.” 

Nadeau echoed similar sentiments, emphasizing how this kind of hands-on, creative activity was the most effective way for students to learn about what it means to consume sustainably. 

The importance of sustainable fashion has grown ever more important in recent years, as fast-fashion companies such as Forever 21 and H&M have come to dominate the industry. Most people don’t know that when they shop at these stores, they are supporting an environmentally and socially detrimental system. 

Sustainable fashion addresses the social justice and ecological issues that are present in the consumerist culture of the fashion world. With the help of the sustainability group EcoPledge’s informational table, students who attended the Fashion Showcase were able to learn more about why consuming sustainably is so important. EcoPledge provided students with pamphlets containing information on the real cost of fast fashion. 

From the informational tables put up by EcoPledge and the Undergraduate Government of BC, to the refurbishment area with a seamstress and thrift store, the showcase offered a wide variety of ways for students to learn more about the importance of sustainable fashion.

The Acoustics a capella group provided the perfect musical backdrop for the showcase, performing songs such as “September Song” by JP Cooper; “My Same” by Adele; and “Thunderclouds” by Sia, Diplo, and Labrinth. 

By the end of the night, attendees left better educated about the negative effects of fast fashion. The event’s hands-on activities ensured that students were not only informed about sustainability in the fashion world, but also that they had the chance to make their own small positive impact on the environment.

Featured Image by Jonathan Ye / Heights Senior Staff