Tree Lighting Kicks Off Holiday Season

Tree Lighting Kicks Off Holiday Season

The Campus Activities Board (CAB) hosted its annual Christmas Tree lighting in O’Neill Plaza on Tuesday night. Students gathered to enjoy musical performances by various a capella groups, cookie decorating, hot chocolate, games, and photo opportunities with Santa and his elves. 

Groups of students danced and sang along to Christmas music as they awaited the lighting of the tree. Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” was the clear crowd favorite.

“It’s a great opportunity to socialize with friends, grab some hot chocolate, and just get in the holiday spirit before diving into finals,” said Margaret Keithline, director of campus engagement for CAB and MCAS ’20. 

University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J., attended the ceremony and spoke briefly to the crowd before the tree was lit. 

“We have been blessed,” Leahy said. “It is the time of year when we think about those most important to us.”

“Within this community, we have been presented with opportunities that invite us to serve,” he said. “We are invited to bring light into the world around us.”

Leahy’s concluding words, “let there be light,” resounded as the tree was lit and the crowd cheered, officially commencing the Christmas season.

Featured Image by Jess Rivilis / Heights Staff