Features, Cooking Column, Homemade On The Heights

Homemade on The Heights: Shrimp Tacos

My version of the viral “Roman Empire” trend is the once-viral Kylie Jenner shrimp taco recipe trend. “Cooking with Karrueche Tran and Kylie Jenner” put shrimp tacos on the map in 2016, and I have tinkered with the recipe ever since, attempting to create the perfect taco. My trusted recipe was the star of many dinner parties back in my hometown of Los Angeles, but this past Taco Tuesday, it finally made its debut in Boston.

Taco Tuesday is arguably the best day of the week, and living with my best friends has only strengthened my case. There is no other way I’d rather spend my Tuesday nights than in my dorm kitchen making a taco bar to accompany a nightly debrief. With all of my roommates’ different tastes and food restrictions, tacos are the perfect way to include everyone at the dinner table. The versatility in topping choices ensures that everyone’s happy and also allows us to showcase our different personalities. 

My personal preferences include fresh and acidic toppings, which best complement the generously seasoned and sauteed shrimp. The simplicity of shredded lettuce, tomato, and a heavy squeeze of lime juice ensures the perfect ratio in each and every bite. The finishing touch to each taco is always my favorite hot sauce, followed by a dollop of sour cream to cut the heat.

DISH: Shrimp Tacos

INGREDIENTS:

• ¼ pound shrimp, cut into pieces 
  • One half of a red onion, diced
  • One lime
  • 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • ½ tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper 
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder 
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
  • Two corn tortillas 
  • One Roma tomato 

TOPPINGS (optional):

• Diced tomato 
  • Shredded lettuce 
  • Sour cream 
  • Hot Sauce
  • Avocado

INSTRUCTIONS:

• In a pan over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
  • Add onions and saute until slightly caramelized.
  • Add shrimp and cook until slightly pink.
  • Add seasoning salt, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Then add juice of a half of a lime, mixing until shrimp is cooked through completely.
  • Microwave corn tortillas in a damp paper towel on high for 10 seconds.
  • Assemble taco and add any toppings you prefer.