Sports, Football, Fall

Preview: BC Looks To Go Above .500 for First Time Since 2021 Against Yellow Jackets

After dominating for three quarters against Army, Boston College football saw its lead evaporate in its Week Six matchup, as the Black Knights scored a touchdown to pull ahead by four points with just over 10 minutes left in regulation. The Eagles’ momentum from the previous week’s victory over Virginia hung in the balance. 

But on the back of a dominant rushing effort, spearheaded by quarterback Thomas Castellanos who had four rushing touchdowns, BC reached .500 status again. Coming off a bye week, the Eagles have a chance to build a winning record for the first time since it was 6–5 on November 26, 2021, when they visit Georgia Tech this Saturday.   

The Yellow Jackets are also coming off a bye week, but they previously recorded an exciting win over Miami in Week Six in which a final-minute fumble recovery led to a game-winning drive.  

Who is BC playing?

Georgia Tech 

When is BC playing?

Saturday, Oct. 21, 12 p.m. 

Where is BC playing?

Bobby Dodd Stadium, Atlanta, Ga. 

How to watch?

The game will air on ACC Network and BC Sports Network from Learfield on WEEI 93.7 FM/850 AM.  

Series History:

BC trails Georgia Tech in the all-time series 4–7. The Eagles have historically struggled at home against the Yellow Jackets, only winning one out of four games played in Chestnut Hill against Georgia Tech, but have maintained a .500 record of 3–3 on the road. In the only game played on a neutral site, BC lost. 

BC is on a two-game winning streak against the Yellow Jackets and most recently defeated them 41–30 when the two programs faced off in Atlanta on Nov. 13, 2021. Former BC quarterback Phil Jurkovec accounted for five total touchdowns, three of which came on the ground. 

What to Expect From Georgia Tech’s Offense:

Georgia Tech is in its first full year with Brent Key as the head coach after he took over in the wake of Geoff Collins’ mid-season firing last season. Key has modernized Georgia Tech and minimized triple-option plays within the offense. 

This has brought success to the offense, which has seen its point average brought up from 17.2 points per game to 30.8, and its overall yardage increase from 324.8 to 431.2. 

The offense is orchestrated by Haynes King, a Texas A&M transfer. King ranks at No. 35 in FBS in passing yards with 1,631, and No. 12 in passing touchdowns with 16, even after Georgia Tech’s bye week last weekend. King serves as a dual-threat signal caller, ranking third on the team in rushing yards. 

Wide receivers Eric Singleton Jr. and Malik Rutherford lead the team in receiving yards, and Singleton leads the corps with five touchdown receptions—no other Georgia Tech receiver catching more than two.  

Georgia Tech’s combination of King, Singleton, and Rutherford form a potent passing offense, ranking No. 36 in the country in total passing yards per game. The passing offense is supported by a strong pass-blocking offensive line, which has just allowed seven sacks this season—good for No. 20 in the nation.  

Jamal Haynes paces the ground with 409 rushing yards and is tied with Trey Cooley for the most rushing touchdowns on the roster with three each.  

Georgia Tech has shown the ability to convert on late downs, ranking 25th in the country in third-down conversion percentage. 

What to Expect From Georgia Tech’s Defense:

Defensive Coordinator Kevin Sherrer leads a unit that has surrendered 434.3 yards of total offense per game. Georgia Tech has allowed a respectable 220 passing yards per game. But it has also allowed 214.3 rushing yards per game to opponents thus far, which is second-to-last in the nation. 

Sherrer’s unit has regressed, allowing only 212.4 passing yards and 188.6 rushing yards in 2022 overall. The departure of star linebacker Keion White for the NFL has likely played a role in this regression. 

However, Sherrer’s defense creates turnovers at a large rate. Georgia Tech is tied for eighth place in fumbles recovered with six on the season. The Yellow Jackets are also tied for 29th place in interceptions.  

Defensive lineman Kyle Kennard is the star of the show for the Yellow Jackets’ defense, leading the team with 32 tackles and four sacks. Kennard has even picked off one pass this season. Linebacker Paul Moala has 24 tackles and two sacks and anchors the second level of the defense. 

Jaylon King has wreaked havoc in the defensive backfield, generating two interceptions, producing 28 tackles, defending three passes, and allowing zero touchdowns. Defensive backs K.J. Wallace and LaMiles Brooks each have four passes defended and a combined 47 tackles.  

Outlook:

BC’s matchup with Georgia Tech will likely feature spurts of explosive rushing offense with turnovers and penalties playing a key role in the outcome. 

Both sides will look to control the turnover battle, but Georgia Tech will especially look to generate turnovers as a way to overcome its lackluster defense that surrenders 56.5 more yards than BC’s does. 

The Eagles’ ability to take advantage of Georgia Tech’s lowly rushing defense will prove key to a successful day on offense, as BC’s offense is presented through the ground game, and especially through designed reads for Castellanos. Expect BC to utilize Castellanos in a multiple-option set, as well as running backs Pat Garwo III and Kye Robichaux. Key offensive lineman Ozzy Trapilo is also expected to come back this week.  

Finally, BC’s ability to contain the Yellow Jackets’ downfield offense will help determine the outcome. Limiting King and Singleton will prove to be a challenge for the Eagles, but stopping these two will help stifle Georgia Tech’s attack.