Plain White T’s Self-Titled Album Reflects the Band’s Established Style and Explores Themes of Love and Self-Identity 

★★★★☆

A throwback to early 2010s rock music, American band Plain White T’s still has the groove. 

Formed in 1997 by four high school friends and musicians, the “Hey There Delilah” band announced its self-titled studio album set to release on Friday, Nov. 17. This is the first full-length album the band has released in five years, generating high anticipation from fans.

Consisting of 13 tracks, Plain White T’s covers themes of falling in and out of love and feeling comfortable in one’s own skin. Remaining true to the band’s pop-rock origins, the album features melodic guitar chords and upbeat percussion. 

Along with the announcement on Sept. 8, the group also released a new track, “Red Flags,” which formed part of the new album, illustrating the hardships of getting over someone you once loved. 

“White lies, white lies, you just love to brag / Bet you hide all of your secrets in that little yellow Gucci bag / Red flags, red flags / Way too many red flags, red flags / I just can’t figure it out / What the hell are you about?” lead vocalist Tom Higgenson sings. 

This melancholic song explores trust issues developed in a romantic relationship. The band first explains the happiness you find in someone, then the pain when you realize that that person is not completely committed to you. The lyrics reflect the difficulty of accepting red flags and admitting to yourself that the person is not right for you. 

Despite half the album’s songs depicting negative relationship experiences, Plain White T’s also tackles the heartwarming side of falling in love through tracks like “L-O-V-E,” where the band describes the things it feels and notices in the people it loves.

“The way you look tonight is so unreal / If Dali painted you, you’d be surreal / Was I blind / The way the stars all twinkle in your eyes / I’ve never seen such beauty in my life” Higgenson sings in detail, symbolizing the beautiful things that happen when one falls in love. 

In addition to the theme of love, the self-titled album also speaks on the topic of self and self-acceptance. The Plain White T’s are rediscovering their identity and embracing themselves the way they are. In the track “Fired Up,” for example, the group confidently opens up about feeling good about itself. 

“​​I’m fired up and I feel a lot better now / Sun comin’ up and I feel like goin’ out / Fill up my cup and I smile when I look around / If you’re feelin’ what I’m feelin’, sing it with me now,” Higgenson sings. 

In light of constant comparison and societal pressures, both in real life and in social media, the lyrics may help those who are struggling to acknowledge and accept themselves for who they are. 

The ending track of the album, “Spaghetti Tattoo” takes the listener to a dinner date setting, where two people are meeting for the first time. 

“Oh crackin’ smiles and makin’ jokes / Don’t know where it’s gonna go / But it feels good not to know,” Higgenson sings  

These lyrics reflect the exciting process of meeting someone and being able to connect with them, presenting an optimistic view on dating or loving.

While the lyrics are simple and well-versed, each individual song can seem slightly repetitive, as their melodies rarely change. The album’s structure, however, lays out in perfect format. The tracklist mixes the gentle, slower songs, with upbeat, faster songs, taking the listener through different but not contradictory emotions and preventing songs from bleeding together.