Metro, Newton

Newton-Wellesley Hospital Wins Award for Excellence in Patient Safety

Newton-Wellesley Hospital (NWH) received an award for excellence in patient safety last Tuesday from Healthgrades, a healthcare research and review company.

“We are immensely proud of this recognition, which underscores our unwavering commitment to ensuring the safety and well-being of every patient entrusted to our care,” President and CEO of NWH Ellen Moloney said in a press release.

According to Healthgrades, the award is distributed to hospitals exhibiting excellence in patient safety by protecting against “infections, medical errors, and other preventable complications.” 

The distinction is awarded to just 10 percent of the hospitals evaluated.

“This achievement reflects the dedication and tireless efforts of every member of our exceptional team here at Newton-Wellesley Hospital,” Moloney said in the release.

The safety rating is based on 14 safety metrics—including death rate in low-mortality diagnoses, surgical devices left in patients, and in-hospital fall-associated fractures—that show how often serious and potentially preventable complications occur at a hospital.

Healthgrades also named NWH among America’s 250 best hospitals in January, putting it in the top 5 percent in the nation. It also granted the hospital awards in critical care, orthopedic surgery, and pulmonary care.

According to Brad Bowman, chief medical officer and head of data science at Healthgrades, prospective hospital patients should pay attention to this rating.

​​“As consumers take a more hands-on approach to their healthcare journeys, hospital quality should be a top consideration when choosing where to receive care,” Bowman said in the release. “With this information, consumers can feel confident they’re making the most informed decisions about their healthcare.”