Sports, Spring, Softball

At Home, Eagles Take Two of Three From Terps

The softball team won just two games in ACC play last season, but this year’s team has produced superior results. A pair of triumphs over Maryland over the weekend means the Eagles have already won four more games in ACC play than they did overall last season.

Alhough Boston College dropped its weekend finale with the Terps on Sunday, 4-2, it was still able to win the series. A home run from senior Annie Sommers gave the Eagles a 2-1 advantage when the teams were level at 1-1 headed into fifth inning. In the seventh, trailing by a run, Maryland’s offense woke up after a dormant weekend.

Jessie Warner’s double got things going for the visitors, before Corey Schwartz’s hit for two bases put the tying run on the board. Schwartz scored on a single to right from Erin Pronobis, who in turn scored on a Shannon Bustillos double. Nicole D’Argento, who was bailed out by freshman pitcher Jordan Weed, conceded each of the runs.

The Eagles completed their Saturday sweep of the Terps by scoring four runs in the game’s final frame to win 4-2. Megan Cooley was walked and got to second when D’Argento singled. The hits forced Maryland to change pitchers, but reliever Brenna Nation walked Tory Speer before Kaitlyn Schmeiser reentered the game. Alana DiMaso’s hit bounced to third and an error allowed two Eagles to score and equalize the game at 2-2. Tatiana Cortez’s bunt plated Speer to give BC an edge it would not relinquish.

BC’s bats came into the second game of the doubleheader hot, as it had just crushed the Terrapins 8-0 in the first matchup of the three-game series. Speer’s homer bolstered Weed’s three-run shot in the fourth inning.

D’Argento improved to 13-10 on the season, though she only pitched through a pair of innings. She struck out three batters in the victory and was replaced, with her team in front 7-0. Cooley got things going for the Eagles in the first inning, scoring after an errant throw looking to get Speer out at second when the senior attempted to advance further from her hit. DiMaso brought Speer home before Jessie Daulton’s single sent DiMaso to home plate for the score.

Despite losing the final game of the set, the Eagles are playing winning softball and with a record of 22-17, head coach Ashley Obrest’s team has shown dramatic improvement.