Opinions, TU/TD

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Week Of Feb. 15

Thumbs Up: 

• Heart-shaped everything
    • One of the perks of having a love-themed holiday is the absolutely adorable decorations that come with it. Dorms are adorned with cut-out hearts and decorating valentines with heart stickers is undeniably cute (even if they’re for your friends). Even the conversation candies are shaped like little hearts! 
  • More candy
    • Speaking of candy, Valentine’s Day is a great excuse to consume loads of chocolate and other candy in the name of celebration! V-Day is comparable to Halloween in its acceptance of pure gluttony as a form of holiday spirit, and this is something that is definitely worth a thumbs up. 

Thumbs Down: 

• Heart candies
    • As adorable as they are, these are objectively the worst tasting candies on the market. If you’ve ever eaten one, it starts off as an adorable experience until the pure sugar fizzles in your mouth with a slight undertone of cardboard. These candies are a prime example of when you should probably just stick to judging a book by its cover.
  • Excuse for PDA
    • Another unfortunate downside to Valentine’s Day, whether you’re single or not, is that it’s unfortunately considered an open invitation for public displays of affection. I’m already shivering at the thought of having to swipe through endless streams of happy couples gushing over one another on Instagram stories. 

Featured image by Allyson Mozeliak / Heights Editor