Sports, Lacrosse

North Breaks ACC Career Scoring Record in No. 1 BC’s Rout of BU

Under one minute into the second half of Boston College lacrosse’s game against Boston University on Saturday, Charlotte North made history. 

With her fourth goal of the game, North broke the ACC career scoring record previously held by former Eagle and current BC assistant coach Sam Apuzzo. North’s four goals on Saturday gave her 284 career goals, breaking Apuzzo’s record of 283. 

After racking up enough goals to start a running clock with 11 minutes left before halftime—due in part to North’s three goals before halftime—the Eagles (3–0) beat crosstown rival BU (0–2) in commanding fashion, 22–6.

“I’m so proud,” head coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein said of North. “It’s a really cool accomplishment, but I’m sure Charlotte would say what I said, which is that it’s a team thing, not just an individual award.”

After the record-breaking goal, a woman ran down the sideline, a lanyard with a photo of North dangling from her neck. She explained to someone trailing her that she wanted to go get the ball that broke the record. 

“My parents are here,” North said. “I’m lucky they made the trip. … It’s really special—I think especially being my last year, they are making an effort to come as much as possible.”

BC outshot the Terriers 41–14, including a 28–8 edge in shots on goal. 

Ten Eagles scored in the win. Jenn Medjid led the Eagles with five goals, and North’s four were good for second on the team. Belle Smith registered a hat trick, scoring BC’s first three goals of the game—including one 13 seconds after the opening draw. 

Freshman McKenna Davis recorded her first career goal nine minutes into the second period and added another four minutes later. 

“I think we’re all just getting more and more comfortable in our offense,” Medjid said. “It’s good that we’re getting touches and we’re all getting points, so to be able to spread the ball out and to all be able to contribute is awesome.”

With the clock running for over 40 minutes of the game, Walker-Weinstein rotated in a number of her younger players. Freshman Emily English took over for Rachel Hall in net late in the game, and sophomore Kit Arrix recorded her first multi-goal game with two scores. 

Each time a player scored, a song that she chose at the beginning of the season blared through the loudspeakers in Fish Field House. North’s choice was Drake’s “No Friends in the Industry,” particularly the part that says “I’ve been doing this for a long time.”

“It’s just because I’m in my fifth year,” North said. “I feel a little bit older these days.”

She may be getting older, but North has shown no signs of slowing down.

Correction 2/21/22 2:02 p.m.: The article incorrectly identified the woman running down the sideline as Paula North, Charlotte North’s mom.

Featured Image by Jess Rivilis / Heights Senior Staff