Sports, Spring, Softball

Eagles Crush Bryant in 9–0 Victory

It only took two batters for Boston College softball to take a two run lead over Bryant University in its Wednesday matchup. Thanks to a two-run shot from Hannah Slike, the Eagles made their offensive dominance known early in the mid-week tilt. 

And the Eagles were only beginning. 

BC (25–13, 5–7 Atlantic Coast) ultimately defeated the Bulldogs (20–13, 11–5 America East) 9–0 on Wednesday at Harrington Athletics Village. 

Slike started the matchup by launching her two-run bomb that smashed into the scoreboard while simultaneously putting the Eagles on that very board.  

“And Hannah as she was rounding third said, ‘I knew she was coming inside right there.’” BC head coach Amy Kvilhaug said. “It’s just good that they are studying pitchers and actually retaining the information to be able to use on the field, and that for me, is an awesome cause that symbolizes high level players.”

Five innings later, Maycee Hilt finished the game with a walk-off two-run rocket that soared past the left field wall to conclude the game. In both instances, the Eagles emptied their dugout and crowded home plate—waiting to tap the helmet of their teammate who had just homered. 

“Everyone is always so thrilled for Maycee because she quietly works really hard, and it’s nice for her hard work to produce results,” Kvilhaug said. 

Everything in between the first and last homeruns was just as dominant—with the second inning marking the only inning that the Eagles didn’t score. 

BC recorded six other hits, and scored five more runs all while facing six different pitchers in only five innings. Six different Eagles recorded hits, and Slike and Nicole Giery led the team with two hits apiece. 

Kvilhaug credits both understanding the opponents’ pitching styles and an improved offense for BC’s performance. 

“We’ve been working a lot on preparing for the pitching we’re gonna see, today we were prepared for what we were going to see today,” Kvilhaug said. “We have all kinds of information about different sequences and different thoughts on how we think they’re going to pitch us.”

Once the Eagles reached a base, they didn’t lose any of the aggressiveness that got them there. 

In the bottom of the first, Giery stole third and after a brief hesitation, slid home after a missed throw from Bryant’s McKenzie McAloon. Later in the third, Giery ran home again after a misplaced throw from centerfield to third. 

Despite their efforts not succeeding, other players attempted to steal bases. In the bottom of the fourth, a failed attempt to steal second base by Halie Pappion resulted in Emma Jackson beating the throw to home and putting up the Eagles by six.

“We always wanna be as aggressive as possible,” Kvilhaug said. “It’s always looking to advance at least two bases, always looking to push the envelope.”

Defensively, the Eagles were just as sound. 

BC committed only one error and the Eagles stranded seven batters across all five innings. Pappion pitched all five innings, recorded seven strikeouts, and allowed zero runs and only two hits. Aside from her pitching showcase, Papillon also tallied a hit in the matchup. 

“If we’re going to be successful this year continuing to move forward in the ACC, she is one of the major nuts and bolts for what we need,” Kvilhaug said. 

Despite Pappion’s performance, both her and Kvilhaug still have improvements for her pitching. 

“I thought she was okay today,” Kvilhaug said. “I wish she pounded the zone a little bit more earlier,” Kvilhaug said.  “[Pappion] didn’t feel like she had her best stuff today.” 

But Kvilhaug still sees value in what the matchup brought. 

“It’s always great when you don’t have your best stuff and you can come out and throw a shutout,” Kvilhaug said.